Saturday, January 14, 2012

Baby Names . . . Mod Podged Napkins

I wanted to do some art for a friend that was having a baby, she was using a Damask black and white pattern with hot pink accents.  She has another daughter eighteen months old and the girls will share a room . . . so I was how can I consistently draw the same pattern on the two canvases that matches but wanted to use contrasting colors . . . .  I thought well I could trace a pattern on graphite paper, and transfer that to both canvases . . .  and then paint the whole thing twice then I was at Walmart at Christmas and wall-a . . .they had these napkins and I was oh wow I can mod podge them on to the canvas.  The following are the steps I took with my photo process . . . . the pattern was only on one quarter of the napkin so that made it hard to match the pattern consistently all over the 12" x 12 canvas.  So I cheated and got out the black sharpie pen and pink paint pen and drew my own patterns to blent the spots that were uneven or too blocky.


Step one:  Adding ModPodge to canvas and smoothing napkins onto the surface
this may look lumpy and uneven but when it dries it actually looks much better.

The reason you see the Bristol Board in the photo is because I MP napkins of the opposite color onto this and was going to cut the girls names out of this but the Silhouette did not like the napkin texture on the board and chewed it all up and spit it out, on the black one it actually did cut it out but placing the letters on the pink was too busy and I decided a solid color would be a much better choice for this . . .  so that is what makes creating so much fun is the experimenting with different materials.




so I just kept adding napkins all over the canvas including the edges and then let them dry for a day.  With my Silhouette I found the birds and branches I needed,  I used heavy card stock to cut these out and glued them on with the Elmers. I was going to Mod Podge these also but did not want them to be shinny.  Even though I was using the mat finish Mod Podge.  I embellished these with the rhinestones and dimensional puff paint, white on the black letters,  black on the hot pink loved the look and then being left handed I dragged my left hand over some of the dots smearing them . . . . I let them dry re painting the hot pink and then re dotted . . . it worked the following pictures are the final results of my name art decor . . . I used the same napkins to do the switch plate covers and a lampshade too the possibilities are endless. Anne

Post a Comment